Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tuesday

Tuesday -still in Siena



The convent is very centrally located. It has been a very good place to stay. It is clean and quiet. Very secure. We have listened to music in the evening with our windows open. We went to mass with five nuns in the church at 6 pm. There were some rules for the room that Eileen and I broke - no clothes washing - we washed our undies.


The nuns' church is the Sanctuary of St Catherine. We entered the church through the nuns' entrance on a lower floor. The book calls this is a simple sanctuary but it is far from simple and smaller than most. It is one of the most beautiful I have seen. It is filled with angels and lots of gold.





We got up and went to the breakfast served at the convent. I think it was the best yet - croissants, yogurt, juice, cappuccino, fruit, and cereal. We wanted to get to the museums when it opened.

We bought one ticket for four museums. The first was the museum of masterpieces of Italian art. This lead us to a tower for a panoramic view of the city. It was a good thing we were early because they limit the number of people at a time to a narrow stairway and small viewing area. Up we go. The viewing area has an incredible viewing area with high wall surrounding it.


As I am taking pictures, I see Eileen is stuck in one spot hiding onto the fencing. Judy is moving around easily saying " I am going up higher". I didn't even know you could go higher. Eileen is going back and I am going to follow her. Only one person goes up or down at a time - no passing. When Judy finally comes down, she explains the stairs became more narrow but the view was unbelievable. She is the bravest by far.

The cathedral was different than any of the others. The marble was striped black. I hope the pictures do it justice. We liked Siena. It was easy to get around. Our legs are getting stronger. Joan











- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time. When will you be moving to Italy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful city! I am having a great time just hearing about your experiences. Hi to all of you! Joan, I miss our coffee!

    ReplyDelete